Humans have been using artificial hair for centuries; the film and showbiz industry is one of the greatest beneficiaries of artificial hair. Despite tremendous progress in medical and surgical hair loss treatment, artificial hair still has its own place. Artificial hair may be obtained from humans, or produced synthetically. Artificial hair has also shown significant improvement over time. Today, artificial hair is a lot more sophisticated and natural looking as compared to the past.
3D-Printed CNC Hair Replacement System (by Cesare Ragazzi Laboratories CRLAB)
Here are some advantages and limitations of artificial hair replacement.
Advantages of Artificial Hair Replacement
- In contrast to surgical hair restoration, artificial hair replacement does not require donor hair on your scalp. So, you can have artificial hair even if you have lost all natural hair.
- Because artificial hair replacement is not dependent on donor hair, you can have hair density and hairstyle of your choice.
- You can make drastic changes to your hairstyle and change your hairstyle as often as you like.
- Modern hair systems look very natural and are virtually undetectable.
- Artificial hair replacement produces instantaneous results.
Limitations of Artificial Hair Replacement
- Artificial hair does not give you the confidence of having your own natural hair.
- This is a temporary solution and you have to spend time and money continuously to maintain artificial hair.
- Artificial hair may cost less initially, however, its accumulated cost exceeds surgical hair transplant over the long run.
- Using artificial hair for a long time may damage your existing hair.
Human Hair vs. Synthetic Hair
Wigs, hairpieces and hair systems are made of either human hair or synthetic hair. Traditionally, human hair has been regarded as of higher quality as compared to synthetic hair. This is still true; although, the synthetic hair industry has seen a lot of improvement and new high quality synthetic hair can be compared to human hair.
Types According to Integration Methods
There are different types of hair extensions according to methods of integration. Following are some commonly used integration methods.
a) Clip-in Hair Extensions
Clip-in hair extensions are very handy because they are very easy to wear and remove. Clip-in hair extensions are safer than many other types of hair system as there is a less chance of traction alopecia. Clips are sewn to hair extension. When the hair extension is worn, the clips attach themselves to existing hair.
b) Glues and Adhesives
Many hair systems use long-term adhesives to attach lace front wigs so that they can be worn for around four weeks without the need of removal. This is a convenient method, as you do not need to remove and wear your wig on a daily basis. However, as your hair beneath the wig grows, you have to take professional help to remove the wig, shave your scalp, and reattach it. Usually, you have to go to your barber or wig manufacturer at least once a month for this maintenance.
This method is very harmful for your existing hair. Your scalp has less time to breath, and your existing hair follicles start to die.
Double-sided tape is a simple method to attach the hair system. It is easy to remove at night to wash your scalp. Tapes usually need that you shave the area under the taped section.
Tapes have their disadvantages too. They can leave sticky residue on the scalp and on your hair system. The tape must be changed regularly. It especially becomes ineffective when you sweat or swim.
The weave is another attachment method. A weave involves a hair system on a mesh foundation. Your strands of natural hair are woven through the edges of the foundation to secure the weave. It fits securely because there are multiple attachment points. However, hair system starts to loosen as your natural hair grows longer. When this happens, you need to readjust the hair system.
Usually, weaves attached hair systems remain in place for several weeks, or months for some people, it puts continuous traction and has higher risk or traction alopecia.
Artificial hair is especially useful for people who want exotic styles that are not possible with a hair transplant, or people who have severe hair loss and do not have adequate number of donor hair for a hair transplant to be successful.
However, if you want to regain your natural hair without the hassle of continuous maintenance, you may consider a surgical hair transplant.
e) What is 3D-Printed CNC Hair Replacement System?